Monday, May 21, 2007

For me self teaching involves self discovery.

I was told a long time ago that there are two types of focusing that people can use when working at anything. Of these two; spotlight & shotgun, we are predisposed to one or the other. I seem to lean heavily to spotlight and, as the name implies, it spotlights one particular task and pushes everything else into the background. This can explain why, as I teach myself, by trying to apply the theories that were shown to me, other things (this blog included) were kind of put on hold. It was not intentional, just a by-product of other production. I need to overcome this tendency to abandon one thing in favor of something else especially if I plan to go back to the first thing. Inattention to the other projects can result in a falling behind on them. A less than favorable task is to have to do something over that you would not have had to if you had just given it a little attention. My planner has helped me with this in the past and I need to start using it heavily again. If I write down all the things I need to do and approximately when I need to do them, I’ll stop forgetting to do little things like eat lunch when I get caught up in a project.

No comments: