Friday, May 11, 2007

Education has always been important with my family, but I recall learning was really stressed. A wise man once told me. ‘The day you stop learning you might as well lay down because your life is over.’
I have found from personal experience that there are several types of learning. The first that I have had experience with (as most people have) is the classroom\seminar. This worked O.K. for me when I was younger (I’m 50 now) but I don’t get the material as quickly as I used to, and the lecturer governs the pace not me. Since I usually did alright in school this does not stop, just hinder, me. The second that I have used is research. This method is not very efficient if all you are looking for is a quick, straight forward answer. It is too easy for me get drawn on tangents that are related but not necessary. Curiosity is good to a point but it can really slow the process. Finally I have used self study. It combines the best of both of the previous methods. I can pace myself and since the material has been predigested for me I am less likely to go off on a wild goose chase. You can get learning aides like these from several sources. The manufacturer (if they are reputable) is a good source for reference materials. There are also several independent companies that provide materials for a large number of manufacturers.